Insurance FAQ


Car damaged in accident by driver without auto insurance represented by Ward & Barnes, P.A., Attorneys at Law

Ward & Barnes, P.A. is a Pensacola law firm providing quality legal representation to victims of auto accidents, medical malpractice, and other causes of personal injury.

Our competent legal team prides itself on our knowledge of Florida State laws on automobile insurance coverage. Here are a few answers to common questions about insurance from our experienced attorneys. 

Ward & Barnes Answers Your Insurance Questions

What is personal injury protection (PIP) coverage?

Under Florida law, all drivers licensed in this state must carry a minimum of $10,000 in personal injury protection, or PIP, coverage. Essentially, PIP coverage is intended to cover medical bills and expenses if you are hurt in an auto accident — regardless of who was at fault.

Your PIP carrier is required to pay 80 percent of your medical bills up to a maximum of $10,000. The 20 percent balance is covered by the at-fault driver’s Bodily Injury Coverage insurance. Your PIP carrier is also required to pay for 60 percent of any documented lost wages you may incur, up to a $10,000 maximum limit.

Today, the law states that you must obtain initial medical care with 14 days of an accident to be reimbursed by PIP. You must seek initial medical care within 14 days of your automobile accident in order to obtain access to your PIP benefits. Even if you are successful in seeking medical treatment within the 14-day time period, you may still be limited to $2,500 in coverage instead of the full $10,000 if you are not deemed to have an Emergency Medical Condition (EMC) by a licensed physician.

If you are concerned about the strict time limit, or have questions about the new PIP laws, contact our office today to learn more about your rights and options.

What is bodily injury (BI) liability insurance?

If you are injured in a car accident, the at-fault driver’s Bodily Injury (BI) insurance is responsible for compensating you for your injuries. BI coverage is used to pay for your medical treatment separate and apart from the medical treatment covered by your PIP carrier. Bodily Injury coverage is also used to compensate the victim for past and future wage loss, as well as pain and suffering caused by the accident.

However, BI coverage is not required by law in Florida. Therefore, it is important to determine as soon as possible if the at-fault party has proper BI coverage. Contact the attorneys at Ward & Barnes, P.A., and let us help answer your Bodily Injury questions.

How does uninsured or underinsured motorists (UM/UIM) coverage benefit me?

If you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) and you are injured by a driver without BI coverage, or without enough bodily injury coverage, you can make a claim against your own UM/UIM policy to help compensate for your injuries. Additionally, UM/UIM coverage provides compensation if you are injured by a hit-and-run driver or if you are injured as a pedestrian or as a bicyclist. For more information about this type of coverage, read our underinsured motorist coverage article.

Can you help with the property damage part of my claim?

Absolutely, we can assist you with the property damage portion of your motor vehicle accident claim. Generally speaking, however, we usually recommend that you take the first steps of getting the property damage issues resolved because you know your vehicle much better than we do and you will be in a better position to value its true worth.

However, if you feel the insurance company is treating you unfairly and not giving you a fair value for your property damage, we can step in and assist you at any time.

Contact Us to Learn More

Contact a member of our team to schedule a free consultation about any type of accident or injury case in northwest Florida, or call us at 850-912-8060.